Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Handmade in Harlem

In the summer on 138th street and Lenox in Harlem the Salvation Army sponsors a street fair. The majority of booths are Harlem residents who sell used items. This is not a typical street fair in New York City, which usually consists of the same five booths repeated for 20 blocks. If you are looking for lemonade, crepes, sheets, grilled corn, or $2 jewelry then head on over to an NYC street fair.

I have actually found a couple of really neat things at the Harlem fair. The first item was an adorable used Esprit bag for $5. The best part was when I opened the bag there was a five dollar bill in it so the bag was free! The other great find was two elder woman (for lack of a better term) who sell awesome hand made tote bags. Last summer I think I bought no less than 5 bags and I still use them all the time. They have held up beautifully.

It is not very often that I get to use handmade/local goods in my outfits due to the price point but today's featured outfit includes an awesome hand made tote that I got from my street fair friends on 138th street.

I have to say that this is one of my favorite outfits to date:






You can purchase this outfit for $34.99 here.

No comments: